Tuesday, April 7, 2020

Exploration :: Carving Stamp Workshop

April 7 2020,

In February 2020, before all this crap started happening, my quilt guild had a workshop  with Liz Shepherd on stamp carving and printing.  Awesome class. The seed pod below is from a book called "Print, Pattern, Sew: block-Printing Basics + Simple Sewing Projects for an Inspired Wardrobe" by Jen Hewett. It's a great beginner book.

We learned how to carve a stamp out of rubber (Speedy Carve Block). She has really nice carving tools that we were allowed to borrow. The really nice ones are really expensive. I have my eye on Flexcut Carving Tools, Deluxe Palm Gouges which is currently going for $125.00.  During times like this, I think I will stick to the ones that my niece gave me a few years ago which I have not used.


On the left is Liz Shepherd. I thought the class was wonderful and informative. 


This is my seedpod.


I love blue. So I used blue to stamp. We had a choice whether to use the Speedball fabric ink or the Dick Blick Screen Printing Ink, and I used the Dick Blick.


Below is a rubber stamp that was carved out by somebody. I love it so I used it.


Below are the results that my classmates and I did. Mine is the one all the way on the right side.



If you are interested in screen printing, silk screening, Cyanotype and in the Massachusetts area, I highly recommend that you check out Shepherd Mausleigh Studio.



How are you all holding up?

Quilt & Bitch

No comments: