Tuesday, March 24, 2009

You Speak Chinese?

March 24, 2009

Just got back from Chinatown after grocery shopping. As I put my groceries in the car, from the corner of my eyes, I saw a mid 40's man ("Cartman") leaving his shopping cart behind 2 parked cars. The shopping cart was out of his way to get out of his parking spot, but if the 2 other parked cars had to back out, they would have to move the shopping cart out of the way in order to back out.

I put the "Rules I Live By" into action.

The first one, "#6 Think things through". I quickly analyzed the situation, it was daylight, it was a busy street and I was close to my car, just in case "Cartman" decides to go wacky. From my analysis I decided to have a little bit of fun today.

The second rule implemented with this situation is, "#8 Don't be scared in sharing your two cents with somebody", so here goes.

I stood by my car and said, "You shouldn't push your cart there, it blocks the other cars".

Cartman stared blankly at me.

I thought he did not hear me, so I walked five steps away from my car and said a little bit louder, "You should push your cart somewhere where it does not block cars, it's not nice."

Cartman stared at me and finally uttered out, "You speak Chinese?"

I looked at him and said, "No, not really" and walked away.

I peered back to see if he was going to come running at me with a billy club, but instead, he walked away pushing the cart to a better location, not blocking any cars.

Conclusion, he did understand English after all, and I did my good deed for the day.

Quilt & Bitch

No comments: