Monday, June 21, 2010

"What the hell is that lady doing?"

June 21, 2010

The other day we were mowing the lawn with a manual push mower. Yes, yes, a lawn mower that does not require gasoline and does create noise pollution.

While mowing, the house across from us a few people working on their house. They noticed me pushing something. They stopped took out their lunch and started eating while watching me push this thing across the yard. I think they finally figured out what I was doing.

Ten minutes later, a van drove by and slowed down and the driver and his passenger stopped and looked at what hubby was doing. They also then realized that he was mowing the lawn with a push mower.

Now, why is it that people stop and take a second look at somebody who is mowing the lawn with a push mower? Occasionally I feel embarrass. But I continue to mow because it gives me a satisfaction that I am excercising and I am doing something good for the environment. Also, the neighbors should be glad that we are mowing, because at one point the grass was at least ten inches high.

Sooner or later, we will probably get a battery operated lawn mower. In the mean time, I don't mind spending an extra half an hour or so pushing the manual mower.

Quilt & Bitch

No comments: