Thursday, April 10, 2014

Meet Bo!

April 10 2014,

This is Bo. A bird made out of recycled rake, shovel, rebar and other found object. No, you silly, I did not weld this yard art - instead I found this at an estate sale last weekend for $38.00. My top price for this was $50.00, so $38.00 was a slight bargain. As I was waiting in line to pay for Bo, another lady came in and asked where this sculpture was. The estate sale organizer had posted pictures of things on the website. Somehow she realized that I had it and was about to pay for it. It looked like she really wanted it, so I offered to sell Bo to her for $125.00, she refused, rightfully so.

Bo was a bit rusty around it's eyes and back. Other than that, it was in great shape. I like the paint job that was done on Bo, but I knew I did not have the patience to cover all the parts individually to get the multi color look. I settled for red.



 
 
After a little bit of research, I figured out what I needed to clean Bo up. I went to Home Depot and purchased a three wire brush and Rust-oleum Primer and Rust-oleum oil base spray paint. I already had the larger wire brush and sand paper. I used 100 grit sand paper. I think out of pocket for the hard ware was just under $10.00.
 
With the wire brush, I took off the loose paint, and with the sand paper, sanded Bo. 
 
 
 
 
After the sanding was done, I primed Bo with the Rust-Oleum rusty metal primer. As always, please read the directions on the can before starting. Also, cover your work surface before spray painting.
 


After three coats of red spray paint and four days later (drying time) - Bo is done. It now sits in the end of the driveway to greet visitor's into our driveway. Hopefully I did a decent job that it'll last for a few years.

 
 
Quilt & Bitch




No comments: