Wednesday, October 14, 2009

Preparing For the Holidays

October 14, 2009

Ok it's mid-October and Christmas is around the corner. Yes, I know it's still two months away, but since most of the things I give are mostly hand made, I have to start planning.

Actually I have already started planning since January, but the real planning and making starts now.

I have an excel spreadsheet that I have maintained every year since 2005, that lists out each person and the gifts that we have given to them.

I have bought 6 amaryllis that are waiting to be potted on the second week of November that will be gifts for people who are hard to buy. These bulbs costs around $8.00 each, plus potting soil and pots will total to a whopping $10.00.

They are so pretty that you can give them to people you don't know well, male or female, client's, friends etc.

(Above: Amaryllis from last year. This picture was taken in the middle of a winter storm)

Also, don't forget the holiday cards. I am very eco-friendly conscious, but have not found a good solution on holiday cards. Instead of making the fold-over cards, I buy the flat cards, so I can just keep the holiday greetings short and sweet and it saves a little bit of paper.

I stamp the front of the paper with a rubber stamp, and let it dry for a few days, and then on the back of it, I usually write holiday jokes for families with little kids, and if it is going to only adults, something funny about politics today. This way, if somebody does not celebrate Christmas, it keeps it non-religious.

What are your thoughts about holiday cards? Are they a thing of the past? Do you like receiving them or do you think it is just a waste of paper?
Have you started your holiday list?
Are you one of those who don't start till the very last week?

Quilt & Bitch

3 comments:

p00lriah said...

I am very eco-friendly conscious . . .

does that mean ur conscious about eco-friendly? :-P

Christmas cards are cool as long as you mean what you write. i toss out the ones that only have the sender's name written above the pre-printed greetings. sincerity is a nice gift to those receiving it.

Quilt+Bitch said...

p00lriah, did I phrase that incorrectly?

I agree with you, the cards with the pre-printed greetings and where the sender just signs are the ones that I toss out too.

Do you make your own holiday cards?

p00lriah said...

i don't make my cards. i just write some smart-a** comments to make my friends laugh.