Wednesday, June 30, 2010

"I Ain't Your Babysitter"

June 30, 2010

About a month and a half ago, one of our pool buddy came into the pool hall with his son. His son is 15 years old. The father proceeds to the other side of the hall to play with his buddy (more serious players), while his son comes over to where hubby and I are and joins us.

This happens every Friday. Technically, he is not suppose to be at the pool hall, because kids under 21 are not allowed in the pool hall after 5:00 on Friday and Saturday.

Here's the problem. He is 15 years old. He acts like a typical 15 year old kid. Doesn't pay attention to the game and is always distracted looking at other tables. Typically our "group" gets two tables with five players and we round robin. Occasionally we get six players, and things get tricky because it is hard to time the players to end at the same time.

If the boy was more serious in the game and wanted to learn, it's fine by me. Half of the time you have to tell him that it is his turn because he is busy watching a game at another table.

I wonder how much longer this will last before the other players on the table, including hubby will get fed up by having to baby sit this kid.

Is this fair?

Quilt & Bitch

2 comments:

p00lriah. said...

nothing wrong with setting some ground rules with kids. if he's not into the game tell him not to play. ultimately you'll probably need to speak with the dad though, if you want a more permanent solution. it's not right that you guys have to spend your precious free time babysitting. the dad should pay for a professional one instead.

Quilt+Bitch said...

I talked to hubby again about this situation and he said that if I said something to the guy, "I could get away with it". I can come across as being sweet and nice but get the point across. When the time comes, when I'm stewing over the situation, I'll probably do it. Give me a couple more weeks for that. :)