Tuesday, July 6, 2010

Evolution of a Quilter

July 6, 2010

In 2005 I decided to take a quilting class at an adult community center. I took it, and six weeks later, my first quilt creation came to life. I still remember how eager I was to learn. I always finished my assignments. For the last day of class, I brought in my finished quilt. I was the ambitious student who wanted to make her teacher proud. Everybody else was still doing blocks or still hand quilting their quilt. But I was done. I was the only one who was done. Silly me. For the last day of class, I sat there and twiddled my thumbs.

After the class was over, I spent many hours at fabric shops browsing through fabrics and notions. I was still unsure whether I wanted to do this as a hobby or not. The fabrics I first bought were on a lower scale. They were $5.00 - $6.00 per yard, instead of $10.00 per yard for the higher end materials.

For two Christmases in a row, I made quilts. I made quilts for everybody I knew. Nieces, nephews, in-laws, friends, etc. I kept churning them out like there was no tomorrow.
That fall I joined a local quilting guild that my quilting teacher was a part of. Every time I had a quilt done, I would get ooh’s and ahh’s from the group. I know they were just being kind, encouraging a newbie.

Fast forward to the spring of 2007. I surfed around the internet looking at quilts and stumbled upon quilts that were made in Hawaii. After doing a few research, I bought the book by Vicky Fleming called, “Hawaiian Applique”. I made three quilts from her book and realized that this is what I wanted to pursue and become a “master”. Here, I graduated to better fabrics, better tools, better threads and a niche.

In 2008, I started creating my own designs. I still don’t know how to categorize the type of quilting I do. I guess it can be called geometric quilts. I love designing with circles.

In 2009, I taught my local quilting guild how to do a small scale Hawaiian quilt. They enjoyed it, and a few quilters have actually brought in their finished pieces, all quilted and ready to be hung and admired.

That same year, I joined a larger quilt group that has many renowned quilt artists. In 2010, through the quilt show this group puts on every year, I sold two of my original quilts, Meditation and Regal.

Looking back, each item or each step I took was a milestone. When I first joined the local quilting guild, I said that I wouldn’t join the bigger one, because I was not that good. Finally I joined.

Having quilts shown at a show and someone buying the quilt was a big ego booster. Somebody besides hubby, myself or my friends actually appreciates the quilts and would pay money for them. With each milestone, I build up more confidence and courage.

I am considered young in both the quilt groups. I am probably the youngest member in both groups. A lot of the elders say, that they no longer quilt by hand because it hurts. I can still see, and I still can use my hands. I will try to make as many quilts as I can while I am still young.

Quilt & Bitch

2 comments:

p00lriah. said...

do a post called "evolution of a pool player"!! :P :D

Quilt+Bitch said...

Soon... I thought about that... but I don't think I'm there yet. Maybe in 6 months I can write about it. :)