Friday, April 19, 2019

Show + Tell :: The Calling

April 19 2019,

Well, well, well, that didn't take long, "The Calling" is finished. I think I started this at the beginning of April and within a few weeks I have a finished piece. If you want to read more about the process, please read the previous post.


So this was quilted with Aurifil 12 weight in orange, Aurifil 50 weight in gray and teal, and Valdani size 8. At the time of hand quilting this, the only 12 weight was orange. My conclusion for the king size quilt is that I will use 12 weight in orange, light gray, and gray, and 50 weight in teal, and maybe dark blue. I will also use Valdani size 8 gray to outline the printed fabric.

I didn't know how to quilt the printed fabric part, so I ended up outlining it in gray and making crosses in the circles. I hope it is enough quilting to hold up. I may have other ideas when the time comes on what to do with that area.



Oh yah, this is my first quilt that I actually faced the quilt! OMG. I have been trying to figure this out for years, all the instructions just didn't make any sense to me except for one, just one. It's from Joe Cunningham and he has a youtube about it. So go check it out and see how easy it is to face a quilt. Yipppppeeee!

Oh, I don't have those wonder clips, and usually I don't need clips when I do my binding. But when I faced it, it was more difficult, so all I have was clothes pin and I used it. It was a bit wonky, but it got the job done.


I'm waiting for the long armer to baste the king size quilt, and that will be my next hand project.

Title: The Calling
Dimension: 27" x 31"
Materials: Kona Solid Cotton, Polka Dot Fabric by Riley Blake Designs, Piecing with Aurifil 50 weight thread, quilted with Mettler 50 weight
Method: Machine Pieced + Machine Quilted
Date completed: 03.2019

Quilt & Bitch

No comments: