Sunday, September 1, 2019

Quilt Guild President in Review

September 1 2019,

My term is over. I was VP of my guild for one year, then I became President for two years. I've served, and I'm done. Will I ever want to have this role again? Probably not. There are a lot of things that happens in the back that most members don't see.

This is what I've learned.

1. Surround yourself with people you trust and depend on.
Most of the time, this was the case. I could always pick up the phone and get an answer that I wanted quickly. I could email people and assign tasks and they get it done

2. This leads to delegation. Delegate, delegate, delegate. Find people that will do things for you. As President, this job is to oversee and make sure things are moving forward and getting done. Check in to make sure things are getting done in a timely fashion. Get updates often.

3. Learn about the people you work with strengths and weaknesses. Once you start working with folks, you'll learn quickly about their quirks and irks. Work around them and learn quickly from them. For example, one of the board members could not get to meetings on time. I would text her a week, two days, and one day before the meeting to remind her of the meeting.

4. Understand the financials. Understand the numbers. Spend time studying it. This way, you understand if you have to tighten your belt or you have a little leeway. Thanks to the group, we were able to transitioned from paying $1200 a night for the meeting room to $350 a night meeting room. And from $550 a day for the workshop room to $150 - $250 a day (depending on the day). 

5. Change is good. Don't think that just because the past President have been doing it a certain way, that you have to do it the same way. Put your thinking cap on and see what can be done more efficiently and better. Welcome new ideas from members. Evaluate the ideas and implement the ideas. Don't be scared of change.

6. You can't be shy. Ok, I winged this the last two years. The President has traditionally spoken to the group. They give an opening at each membership meeting. This is what I did. I learned to push it to other people. I would welcome everybody, and thank whoever needed to be thanked. Then I push it off to whoever has any announcements. If anyone pays any attention, they notice that I am not usually in the lime light, I pass it on to someone else.

7. Always say Thank You and Please, and write Thank-You notes. People appreciate being acknowledged either on paper, in person or through the newsletter. Make sure they know that they are valued and that their task is very important to the group, and that the group thanks them.

8. Be the first at meetings and the last to leave. Always be early to meetings. Know where you are meeting, familiarize yourself with the location. If you come early to meetings, you will not be frazzled. After a meeting, especially during a membership meeting, don't be the first one out the door. You need to make sure the place is buttoned down and tidied, and nothing left behind. Make sure that whoever needs help are helped. If you are not available, assign someone who can help.

9. Be ready to do the dirty work. If there are not enough chairs for members, be aware and bring the chairs out for them. If someone spills a drink, be prepared to clean it up.

10. Make sure you know the answer. If you don't, make sure you point them to someone who can answer the question.

11. Remember people's name. I'm good at this. I can talk to the person, and I'll remember their name and the exact conversation. This makes your members feel good because you remembered their name, and you remembered them.

12. Be ready to stand up for your team. We cannot please everyone, but always support your team. Don't let a team mate hang dry... unless... you have a riff with them.

Many of my guild members know that the last year I had a major riff with the Vice President. What ended happening was, I made a quilt, I wrote about it, and hung it at the quilt show. Some people read it, some people didn't. But I had the last laugh.

The journey was hard, but it was worth it. I wanted to quit at the beginning of my second term, but it all worked out. I know I've made a lot of positive changes and that I have left my mark. 

Quilt & Bitch

No comments: