Chinese New Year is on Sunday February 14th. I have been busy cleaning our small two bedroom apartment. It is believed that the place where you live should be cleaned before New Year's Day symbolizing the sweeping away of any bad fortunes from the past year and welcoming the new year with a clean slate. This has been a tradition for me ever year. I am not saying that I don't regularly clean, but I don't clean every nook and cranny with a lot of attention and care.
What I learnt from cleaning:
- Magic Erasers works really well on all kinds of surfaces. Walgreens has their store brand one, and it works just as well.
- Toothpicks are great to get into corners or edges of any item that is hard to get to that needs scrapping to get gunk off (example, the wholes of a window fan).
- Using cloth rags instead of paper towels
- Cotton buds (q-tips) are great for cleaning keyboards and any corners to get dust out.
- Cider vinegar with a little bit of dish detergent catches fruit flies well
More on the fruit flies. We think our neighbor across the hall has a fruit fly problem. Last week we noticed fruit flies in our apartment, and I could not find the source of it even after cleaning the kitchen area looking for something that might have gone rotten. A few days later, we smelt bug spray from across the hall and noticed that there were fruit flies on the entrance of her door. So, I guess she might have left some fruits that went extremely wrong and did not get rid of it soon. Because there is a crack at the bottom of the doors, that must be how the fruit flies came through.
Thanks to the internet I was able to easily find how to get rid of them. Hopefully the fruit flies will be gone before the New Year's.
Back to cleaning.
Quilt & Bitch