Friday, November 29, 2013

Subacute Thyroiditis (Part 1)

November 29 2013,

** Note: This is the first of a four part blog **
Subacute Thyroiditis (Part 1)
Let Me Out! (Part 2)
Not So Fast (Part 3)
Run - Don't Walk - (Part 4)

It's been four weeks since I have this thing.

What this thing turns out to be is subacute thyroiditis.

People always envied me for able to eat anything in the world and not gain a single pound. My parents are small - and I always blame it on my tape worm call "Gertrude".  I would go up to buffets at least 4 - 5 times until I was satisfied with my appetite. Now I know that it's not Gertrude but my thyroid.

This subacute thyroiditis is rare and is painful. I do not wish this on anyone, even my worse enemies. This past Sunday I was having fevers, (I have been having fevers for 3 weeks continuously) and I could not seem to stop the fever. I remembered saying out loud that I was sick and tired of the fever, and just wanted it to stop. Guess what? It stopped, The next day, my neck area started to become enlarged, this is scientifically call goiter.

I thought having the fever and aches and pains were bad, this is horrible. It's been 3.5 days now and this thing is continuously growing larger and larger. Now I am seeing blister's in the front of my neck. The feeling is like having a bunch of paper cuts in that area. Another feeling is like eating really hot chili sauce.


Today it spread to the right side of the jaw, making it very difficult to open the mouth, let alone eat. It's hard to eat anything at this point.

So I am on beta blockers and ibuprofen. The doctor says there is nothing else they can do to help me at this point because it is subacute thyroiditis.

So how long does this thing last you ask? I wish I knew. Through research, the range is a few weeks to a few months. It some sometimes take up to a year to fully recover.

I am still bed ridden, I don't do anything, I am popping pills like there is no tomorrow, I am crying, I am in pain, and this sucks.

Thanks to my hubby, neighbors and friends, I hope this will to a speedy recover.

On the bright side, I don't have to do the leaves this year (I think I prefer to do the leaves than deal with this crap).

Quilt & Bitch

1 comment:

p00lriah said...

omg I hope you're doing okay. I've been busy & haven't followed any blog. anyway I hope you feel better.