Monday, April 11, 2016

Quilt Show :: Quinobequin Quilter's Guild 2016

April 11 2016,

The Quinobequin Quilters Guild had a quilt show on April 1-2, 2016.

Here are some of my favorites.

"Around the Corners with 30 Stripes 2" by Winnie Wong, Waban, MA
The design is from "Shots and Stripes' by Fassett + Lucy (2013). I used 30 different woven striped and 3 solid fabrics.
Machine Pieced and Machine Quilted by Concessa Sheare

"Handerkchief on Point" by Judith Weinberg, Needham,MA
"When I saw this quilt on the wall of the Buton Box I knew I had to make it - or at least try! The instructions are from the book, "Shots and Stripes," by Kaffe Fassett and Liza Prior Lucy. When our home needed reconstruction after the ice damage from the winter storms of 2015, we chose our new bedroom colors to match the quilt. We have a red wall, light yello walls and striped valances to match that I made from additoinal Kaffe Fassett fabric. I learned a lot about piecing and placement when working on this quilt. We love the new look; the ice dams were gifts in disguise!
Machine Pieced, and Machine quilted by Dragonfly Quilts

Pay attention to the fabrics used in this quilt. It is such a challenge to use a fabric that one does not like. What would you have done with such a fabric? Donate it? Throw it out?

"Ode to ATO: Tufts Co-ed Fraternity" by Janet Jankowiak, Needham, MA
"I acquired 10 yards of this crazy fabric for $5 at the QQ auction in 2015 and was urged by friends to use it in Concessa's Stack-N-Whack Row class. Early on I decided it would be a great laugh for my son's co-ed "fraternity" of swimmers, sailors, and divers at Tufts: ATO of Massachusetts. I clearly deviated from the class pattern..."
Machine pieced, Hand Appliqued, Machine Appliqued, Embellished, Machine Quilted.

Detail of the fabric used in "Ode to ATO: Tufts Co-ed Fraternity" by Janet Jonkowiak, Needham

Detail of the fabric used in "Ode to ATO: Tufts Co-ed Fraternity" by Janet Jonkowiak, Needham

Detail of the fabric used in "Ode to ATO: Tufts Co-ed Fraternity" by Janet Jonkowiak, Needham, MA

"Love From Above" by Marlene Thurston, Natick, MA
"This design comes from the artist Charley Harper. I loved the idea of portraying the bond between mother and child using Giraffes. The modern quilting style is seen in the all white background.
Machine pieced, Machine Appliqued, Machine Quilted

"Afternoon Delight" by Marlene Thurston, Natick, MA
"A challenge through our 'Friends in Stitches' group. I made it half the original size to fit on the quilt rack in my entry way.
Machine pieced, Hand Appliqued, Machine Quilted.


"Helena's Happy Herd" by Evy Megerman, Waltham, MA
This is one of a pair of quilts made for my twin granddaughters for their fourth birthdays.
Machine Pieced, Machine Quilted


"Johanna's Joyous Jungle" by Evy Megerman, Waltham, MA
This is one of a pair of quilts made for my twin granddaughters for their fourth birthdays.
Machine Pieced, Machine Quilted

"Spring Basket" by Charann Brown, Wellesley, MA
This is a combination of a Kim McLean pattern (Flower Basket Medallion and Edyta Sitar pattern (Hope Chest). This was a very happy quilt to spend time on.
Machine Pieced, Hand Appliqued, Machine Quilted by Concessa Shearer

Detail of "Spring Basket" by Charann Brown, Wellesley, MA

"Vintage Timing" by CharAnn Brown, Framingham, MA
"This is a Jen Kingwell design (Steampink) made for my son and daughter-in-law's wedding that had a vintage theme. I learned a great deal about Steampunk while working on this quilt. Some fabrics were printed by "Spoonflower" just for this quilt. It was a challenge and quite fun to create this quilt."
Machine Pieced, Hand Appliqued, Machine Quilted by Concessa Shearer

Detail of "Vintage Timing" by CharAnn Brown, Framingham, MA

Detail of "Vintage Timing" by CharAnn Brown, Framingham, MA

"Mason Jar Arrangements" by Charlotte Surgenor, Dover, MA
After 3 years of trying I have finally figured out how to use my embroidery machine. Even though it has been a gentle winter I wanted to try to bring spring early with my Mason Jar Arrangements.
Machine Pieced, Machine Quilted

Detail of "Mason Jar Arrangements" by Charlotte Surgenor, Dover, MA

"This is the House that Peter Built" by Evy Megerman, Waltham, MA
This quilt is based on a picture in the book, 'This is the House that Jack Built'. However, it is Peter's house. Peter is my 18 month old grandson.
Machine Pieced, Machine Appliqued, Machine Quilted.

"J'aime Paris" by Cathy Clemens, Needham, MA
I made this quilt as a reminder of my semester in Paris during college where I studied art as well as French language and culture. It's small enough to hang on my bedroom door.
Machine Pieced, Hand Appliqued, Embellished, Machine Quilted

"Waves" by Kathy Whelan, Westwood, MA
I had fun raiding my stash to make this landscape quilt. I sued a sheer overlay to make the sand sparkle, and then used my collection of glass beads to embellish it. I made a similar quilt for a friend who, like many, finds solace in a beach.
Machine Pieced, Embellished, Machine Quilted

"Frog Festival" by Lauren Langevin, Natick, MA
When I was visiting my father-in-law in Kelowna, BC, Canada I found a wonderful quilt shop. INside there was a quilt that was filled with frogs... and since I love frogs I couldn't resist. This is my interpretation of the quilt.
Machine Pieced, Machine Appliqued, Embellished, Machine Quilted

"4460 Pieces!" by Joann Thurston, Westwood, MA
I loved this quilt when I saw it and decided to take the class. I chose to make it in Asian fabrics which I collected while on a bus trip to Pennsylvania quilt shops and show. It used 25 light and 25 dark fat quarters.
Machine Pieced, Machine Quilted by Concessa Shearer

"Friends" by Caroline Blair" Wellesley, MA
The quilt was started a couple of years ago with my quilting circle. It was so much fun seeing everyone's different interpretations.
Machine Pieced, Hand Appliqued, Machine Quilted by Melissa Heys.

Are you inspired?

Quilt & Bitch

No comments: