Tuesday, September 19, 2017

'Nuf Said :: End of Summer Blues

September 19 2017,

I've meant to write about these for some time now. Here are just a bunch of jumbled up thoughts that I would like to share.

The summer sure went by fast and the first sign of fall is upon us.


In our kitchen we installed modified recessed lights when we switched from CFL to LED.


After a few months or so I noticed dead insects in it. I asked hubby to try to take out the dead insects. Unfortunately there is no way to open the unit up, trust me, I called the manufacturer. There are tiny holes approximately 1/4 inch that you could try to shake the insects out - but there was a risk of breaking the wires. R.I.P.


These LED lights are "recessed kit" where you can use your existing older recessed kit and screw in this LED "bulb" or part. If you don't mind seeing insects hanging out for the next 15 years or so in your lights, this is the way to go - easy peasy. No electrician needed and at a low cost. If you do... you may want to change the housing can (please consult your electrician on this, I am in no way an electrician).



Early this summer, one town over, there was a building that only had it's "bone" and the outside was being supported by wood.


This past month, I drove by it again,  and was surprise to see how it had transformed. Kudos to the builder who maintained the outside of the building and rebuilt everything else on the inside. I bet the builder got less resistance from neighbors because he or she maintained the look of the building.


Still sticking to tear downs or partial tear downs, this house below was originally a one story. The attic of the house was demolished in early spring.



And below is what it looks like today. They added a second story to the house without affecting the foundation. It doesn't look bad. There are more houses in the area where the builders just make it look like a milk carton, no character, no nothing, and just plain boring and ugly.



Here's another house that is currently being demolished. It is also a one story house, approximately 1,222 square foot. This house has been on the market for at least 7 years. I don't know why no one wanted to buy it. The owner had originally bought it for around $700,000, at the peak of the market, and the last time it was listed for $610,000. I don't know if it has been bought / sold or what.



As of earlier this week, this is what is left of the 1222 square feet. I wouldn't be surprise if a Mc-Mansion pops up here... something that is 4000 square feet. For those who are not familiar with the term "McMansion" here is the definition from google. "A large modern house that is considered ostentatious and lacking in architectural integrity." 'Nuf said.




But wait... there's more, of course there is always more right? Ok, one more thing.

We switched our pretty dining room lights (read more about it here) to LED's.

We had used appliance light bulbs (A15) so that we could fit more bulbs into the glass - and back then, in 2015, the Edison vintage looking light bulbs were expensive.

Fast forward to today - I happened to see it online, of course on sale, LED A15 light bulbs. I bought them and switched them. It wasn't dimming as well. After a few days of the light bulbs scattering all over the place, I researched "LED dimmable not working".

Turns out there is a solution. There is a toggle (up and down) on the switch itself that you can adjust.

I took out my handy dandy screwdriver, unscrew the face plate, squinted a bit and saw the toggle. Played with it and told hubby that everything was working. Tadah. Oh I'm so smart.



I realized I never took a picture of the three niche modern lights that we bought. Pretty aren't they? They are a bitch to clean. And with me sewing in the next room over, it is often covered with lint. Windex and newspaper once a week.


Now we have 8 LED light bulbs that look vintage-y. Success.


'Nuf Said,

Quilt & Bitch

No comments: