Tuesday, February 6, 2018

Sitting Pretty :: Piece Together :: The Quilts of Mary Lee Bendolph

February 6 2018,

Last week I went to a beautiful quilt exhibition at the Mount Holyoke College Art Museum to see an exhibition called, "Piece Together: The Quilts of Mary Lee Bendolph". Afterwards there was a lecture by Dr. Alvia J. Wardlaw entitled, "I Keep Dreaming that Dream".











Unfortunately, the quilt below - I did not get information on.


This quilt below is my favorite. I am inspired!













































This was interesting and fun. I love press. Here is more information on Paulson Fontaine Press and also a newsletter article from Paulson Fontain Press. If you have time, do visit their website under "Artists", you may get inspiration from it. Awesome. Awesome. Awesome.






This print below is my favorite. I am drawn to the red and the simplicity of it.






















Below is Mary Lee Bendolph's family who came to the lecture.



This is Dr. Alvia J. Wardlaw.


This is  Mary Lee Bendolph's youngest son, Rubin Bendolph Jr.


Below is the guest of honor, Mary Lee Bendolph.


Below are pictures from the presentation which shows the print making process.




The lecture was closed with singing.


It was a beautiful event. Thank you Mary Lee Bendolph and your family for sharing your beautiful quilts with the world. I am touched.

Sincerely,
Quilt & Bitch

Additional Reading that may interest you:
Mary Lee Bendolph - Souls Grown Deep 
Gee's Bend Prints - Greg Kucera Gallery Inc. 
The Quilts of Gee's Bend

No comments: