Monday, September 24, 2018

Show + Tell :: Dum Dums Wrapper in Action

September 24 2018,

I was finally able to do a little bit of art this weekend. Being horizontal on the couch for most of the hours of the day does not let me be productive nor creative. I finally was able to muster up energy and be motivated.

My niece, Celeste, the one who got the "Zoo Bound" quilt, was collecting the Dum Dums wrapper in to redeem points online. As she was throwing it, I noticed the colorful wax paper in her hand. I asked her what she needed it for, and she said she didn't need it anymore. So I took it from her. It sat and sat for 3 months.

Finally this weekend I decided to make a postcard / mini quilt / art.



I first ironed it with  non-stick pressing sheet in between the wrapper. I should have washed the wrappers first - but I got lazy. Shhhhh. With the pressing sheet in between the wrapper, I did not have any issues.

With Pellon 72F Ultra Firm Two Sided Fusible, I ironed on the candy wrapper to the stabilizer.





My first go - I used glue stick to adhere the wrappers onto the stabilizer - it was a no go. I think the wrapper is made out of something similar to that of wax paper - thus glue stick won't work. .


I heat press the wrapper onto the stabilizer, only working with one or two wrappers at a time. I also learned not to press the iron onto the area that did not have the wrapper yet, because the glue will to melt thus, disappear when you are trying to put the wrapper on.


Then I learned that if you overlap too much - there will be no glue, like this red piece below.


Not to worry, zig zag stitch. So I zig zag the places where it overalpped.


Then I remembered I still had a bottle of varnish. Why not. So I put a coat of satin varnish on this. I don't know if it is necessary, but I was experimenting. The end result is that it does give it a slight shine.





My drying "rack". 


The final result.I also zig zagged the edges as a finishing touch.






I was left with smaller size stabilizer, and decided to make gift card or money holders.



So there you have it.

Is this a yay or a nay? Love it or skip it?

Quilt & Bitch

No comments: