Tuesday, March 12, 2019

Show + Tell :: Peace Out On My Spaceship

March 12 2019,

A happy quilt! Definitely different from the past few ones I've made.

This quilt was inspired from a two things. First and foremost, from the artist Yayoi Kusama. Second, from the book called "East Meets West Quilts: Explore Improv with Japanese-Inspired Designs" by Patricia Belyea.


I used her ""Hachi Quilt Manifesto" but instead of using 8" I used 4" blocks. I wanted this to be an orange and blue quilt. I focused my solids on those two colors. There are two or three shades of orange, one yellow, and two or three shade of blues.

From the beginning, there was no real plan. The main parameter was that it had to be less than 90" (the quilt guild's maximum quilt size for this coming May's show).

I made the blocks, knowing I needed a total of 250 squares everything was send and done. I did not count how many pieces of each color / style I had, I just counted the total. After it was pieced, my first attempt at laying it out was a disaster. I had done it randomly. Hubby said that it did not work, because it was way to random and busy.

I scrapd the beginnings of that I started playing again with the layout. Satisfied with the layout, I pieced it together.

This quilt took 9 days from start to finish. The quilting was very minimal.





A special thanks again to Laura for coming with the name of the quilt. 

Title: Peace Out On My Spaceship
Dimension: 70" x 90"
Materials: Kona Solid Cotton, Polka Dot Fabric by Riley Blake Designs, Piecing with Aurifil 50 weight thread, quilted with Mettler 50 weight
Method: Machine Pieced + Machine Quilted
Date completed: 03.2019


Quilt & Bitch

No comments: