Friday, August 10, 2018

Show + Tell :: Conduit

August 9 2018,

Another fine line piecing quilt. A technique taught my Kathleen Loomis at my quilt guild in 2015. Note that the technique that Kathleen taught is different from what I have implemented. With the many quilts that I have made, it is a similar technique, but different methodology. I still give credit to Kathleen Loomis for opening my eyes to this world. With this last quilt, I may have perfected the technique. 

This is the same fabric as "Going on a Trip I", "Going on a Trip II", Dotted Lines I, "Blue Moon" and the "Village". The background fabric is by Robert Kaufman Artisan Batik Model Geoscapes 4 and I bought a lot. I bought all that I could find locally and on the interweb. I am probably down to a few yards. When I buy a fabric I like, I buy them in 4 yard increments.


This quilt was started sometime in May, at our first quilt show meeting. We did not have a raffle quilt, and it was going to be difficult to plan, organize, gather, make, finish a quilt in three months. So I offered to make one. Note, the next quilt show, 2021, the raffle quilt is already in the works. Hopefully we won't make the mistake of not having a raffle quilt ready for a quilt show.

So the size came about because we had a donation of a batting, and the batting was a twin size. The bamboo batting came out well, it was easy to quilt with, and it has the weight I like.

I decided to bind the quilt with the same background fabric so that it gives a seamless look to the quilt.


This is the backside of the front of the quilt. Notice the darker blue pieces, I ran out of the light blue Hoffman 1895 solid batiks in that color. So I scrambled and look through and found a few pieces of different blues to use. I used approximately 9 yards of the background fabric (the orange), not sure exactly how many yards of the blue fabric (skinny line).



Detail of the back of the quilt. Yes, those are all little pieces that I pieced.



Detail of front of the quilt. The quilt was quilted with 1/2" interval on the Janome 8900 QCP. I heart my Janome. I even hearter my Janome repair man Dave of "Bittersweet Fabric Shop". I drove 1 1/2 hours up to see him, and 1 1/2 hours back down. He is a Janome whisperer.


So how do you buy a raffle ticket for this? More information is yet to come. I do not know the answer to this yet. If I don't answer it, please email to qc@quiltersconnection.org.

Off to my next fine line piecing.

Quilt & Bitch

No comments: