Wednesday, August 8, 2018

My Summer Vacation 2018 :: Part Cinco of One (The State of Maine)

August 8 2018,

** Note: This is the seventh of a thirteen part blog **
My Summer Vacation 2018 :: Part Uno of One (Vermont Quilt Festival)
My Summer Vacation 2018 :: Part Uno of Two (Vermont Quilt Festival)
My Summer Vacation 2018 :: Part Uno of Three (Vermont Quilt Festival)
My Summer Vacation 2018 :: Part Deux
My Summer Vacation 2018 :: Part Trois
My Summer Vacation 2018 :: Part Cuatro (Revere Beach International Sand Sculpting Festival) 
My Summer Vacation 2018 :: Part Cinco of One (The State of Maine)
My Summer Vacation 2018 :: Part Cinco of Two (The State of Maine)
My Summer Vacation 2018 :: Part Cinco of Three (The State of Maine)
My Summer Vacation 2018 :: Part Cinco of Four (The State of Maine :: Maine Quilts)
My Summer Vacation 2018 :: Part Six 
My Summer Vacation 2018 :: Part Seven
My Summer Vacation 2018 :: Part Eight of One
My Summer Vacation 2018 :: Part Eight of Two



End of July I went to the state of Maine by myself. Friends of mine look at me weird and ask, "You are going alone?" Yes, I went alone. Firstly, it's my time away from hubby and secondly, he didn't want to go. Note, we spend way too much time together because we work together.

So off to Maine I went for three nights and four days. Ochito, in the picture below accompanies me on the dashboard.


My first stop was Portland, ME. As I was walking to my tour appointment, I saw a line in front of a donut shop. The shop was called "The Holy Donut".The rave about it is that it is made of potato. I didn't go in, because it was too crowded, but I did snap a pic of it.



This was an interesting piece that I stumbled upon. This is Maine's "Love Locks Wall". There is a story behind it.

I guess now the city has decided to put portable structure for folks who still want to hang locks. And for those who are interested in more information, you can go to "www.makelovelocks.com" and they will show you where there are love locks around the world!






After much research I decided to go on the "Portland Fire Engine Company" tour. Our tour guide Glen was good and was patient and was knowledgeable.


Next stop was the Portland Museum of Art. It was a nice museum, not big and not small. I enjoyed it.






The art below was awesome. This buck was embellished with sparkles all around. 






um...  Duncan Hewitt.









This below was awesome. A small piece, but the colors the intensity drew me in. Look at the website for more artwork




























 






I must have forgotten to snap a picture of the information. This is a picture by John Singer Sargent of Mrs. Charles Pelham Curtis.

















The gift shop.


As I was walking to my next destination, I stumbled upon the Maine College of Art. I had to go in. I love prints. This is by Pilar Nadal, an alumni of Maine College of Art. Love her work.





Next door I saw this wedding dress store with this checkered / gingham wedding dress. Beautiful.



Next stop was "Duck Fat". I had lunch there. It was a 20 minute wait. I ordered the Poutine and Crab Melt Sandwich. The Poutine was a little bit much for me. The Crab Melt was delicious.




Next I decided to go to the "Portland Head Lighthouse". Unfortunately it was misty and foggy. It was like this the whole time I was in town.





From Portland I drove to Rockland, ME. I was suppose to have dinner at "Claws" in Rockland, ME. That didn't happen because parking was really hard to get, so I gave up. I went down the street and found another restaurant called "Offshore Restaurant" and it ordered the lobster roll with french fries. Service was great, good was delicious. No mess no fuss.


Quilt & Bitch

No comments: