Thursday, June 28, 2018

My Summer Vacation 2018 :: Part Uno of One (Vermont Quilt Festival)

June 28 2018,

** Note: This is the first of a fourteen part blog **
My Summer Vacation 2018 :: Part Uno of One (Vermont Quilt Festival)
My Summer Vacation 2018 :: Part Uno of Two (Vermont Quilt Festival)
My Summer Vacation 2018 :: Part Uno of Three (Vermont Quilt Festival)
My Summer Vacation 2018 :: Part Deux
My Summer Vacation 2018 :: Part Trois
My Summer Vacation 2018 :: Part Cuatro (Revere Beach International Sand Sculpting Festival)
My Summer Vacation 2018 :: Part Cinco of One (The State of Maine)
My Summer Vacation 2018 :: Part Cinco of Two (The State of Maine)
My Summer Vacation 2018 :: Part Cinco of Three (The State of Maine)
My Summer Vacation 2018 :: Part Cinco of Four (The State of Maine :: Maine Quilts)
My Summer Vacation 2018 :: Part Six 
My Summer Vacation 2018 :: Part Seven
My Summer Vacation 2018 :: Part Eight of One
My Summer Vacation 2018 :: Part Eight of Two

A late start to the summer, but here is my first summer post.

 
A bus trip was organized by the quilt guild I belong to. This year, Vermont Quilt Festival (VQF) celebrated it's 42nd year. It did not disappoint. VQF has an unique way of having competitors enter their quilts. To enter into VQF's competition, you are not judged nor juried into the show. To submit a quilt in, you mail your application form by the postmark date, usually the first few days of February. On this year's form it states, "our acceptance of your entry is based on the postmark date, not the date we receive the entry (up to our limit of 180 quilts with a perimeter of 150” or more plus 40 small/miniature quilts and 36 youth quilts)."

So - if you have a quilt, and you think you are ready to strut your stuff, be on the lookout for the form and mail it in first thing in February.

I will break this into multiple posts, because there are more than 200 pictures.


"Indigo and Cheddar" Diane Wespiser, Lee, MA


I love owls. I am crazy for owls. Cute pattern and design, and great color choices.


"Owl Quilt" Suzanne Adler, Centerville, MA



"My Forever Quilt" Gail Butler, Plymouth, MA

More pictures of the quilt is available on  "Tumbletalk".





Now that's a quilt. This is one of those quilts that I would never attempt but appreciate the time and effort put into it.

"Jardin Anglais" Yolande Nadin, Gatineau, Quebec



Spectacular quilt. This one won "Best Quilt From Outside the USA" and received a purple ribbon "Exceptional Merit". Birgit received a 98-100 points. It is a phenomenal piece of quilt.

Birgit Schueller, Riegelsberg, Germany







This quilt by Megan Farkas won Best Quilting in addition to the first place blue ribbon. Her hand quilting was spectacular. Look at the last sentence of index card. "All work by hand". Wow wee.


"Five Treasures" Megan Farkas, Sanbornton, NH




"Forest Through the Trees, No. 3" Carson Converse, Shelburne Falls, MA


"Dot" Susan Painting, Southampton, NJ


"Linked" Sue Schoch, Ballston Lake, NY



I have always enjoyed Ann's quilt. She uses color so beautifully and elegantly. I believe she received an award for "Best Use of Color". And she received the "Exceptional Merit" purple ribbon.

"Piece of Cake" by Ann Feitelson, Montague, MA





"Branches 5: Big Branches" Lee Sproull, Leeds, MA




"Buckles" Janet Barnet, Marblehead, MA




This quilt, by Michelle Reiter, won "Best Modern Quilt" add received the "Exceptional Merit" purple ribbon. Well deserved.

"Under the Big Top" Michelle Reiter, Montclair, NJ




"Squares and Stripes" Carol Esch, Pittstown, NJ



"Shred the Gnar" by Vicki Spiering is awesome. It is awesome. I love everything about it. The movement, the subject, the background. So well done. Another one of my favorite quilts. She captures it all

"Shred the Gnar" Vicki Spiering, Wauwatosa, WI







Another one of my favorite. This one is "Up Close and Personal" by Timna Tarr. I love her work, and she's quilted two of my quilts in the past. I saw the progression of this quilt on facebook while she was working on it.

"Up Close and Personal" Timna Tarr, South Hadley, MA



More to come.

Quilt & Bitch

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Missed the show this year! Thanks for the pictures— yes, it is one of my favorite shows and i will be there next year!

Quilt+Bitch said...

Thanks for stopping by!