Monday, August 20, 2018

My Summer Vacation 2018 :: Part Cinco of Three (The State of Maine)

August 20 2018,

** Note: This is the ninth of a fourteen part blog **
My Summer Vacation 2018 :: Part Uno of One (Vermont Quilt Festival)
My Summer Vacation 2018 :: Part Uno of Two (Vermont Quilt Festival)
My Summer Vacation 2018 :: Part Uno of Three (Vermont Quilt Festival)
My Summer Vacation 2018 :: Part Deux
My Summer Vacation 2018 :: Part Trois
My Summer Vacation 2018 :: Part Cuatro (Revere Beach International Sand Sculpting Festival)

My Summer Vacation 2018 :: Part Cinco of One (The State of Maine)
My Summer Vacation 2018 :: Part Cinco of Two (The State of Maine)
My Summer Vacation 2018 :: Part Cinco of Three (The State of Maine)
My Summer Vacation 2018 :: Part Cinco of Four (The State of Maine :: Maine Quilts)
My Summer Vacation 2018 :: Part Six 
My Summer Vacation 2018 :: Part Seven
My Summer Vacation 2018 :: Part Eight of One
My Summer Vacation 2018 :: Part Eight of Two



After the Fransworth Museum, my plan was to go to the Center for Maine Contemporary Art. I got in the car and plugged in the address in the car's GPS. The GPS brought me 6 miles away from where I was. Turns out that if I had my brain affixed, and that I was thinking, it was just two blocks away from where I was. I still had to move the car and park at another spot, because I was parked at a two hour spot.

When I realized that I was 6 miles away, I turned back and decided to go to lunch and pout. I went to get lunch at"Rockland Cafe. I had the seafood chowder, which was good. But I think I would have enjoyed a lobster sandwich with fries instead.



After replenishing myself, I went to the Center for Main Contemporary Art. This museum is unbelievable.





These I believe are lobster traps which I think they have made into seating places. I didn't try to sit in it, it did not look comfortable. 


In the entrance, I was greeted by this quote. I love this. I love how John Bisbee has taken nails and made it an art. I am in love.








This was interesting. Art by Tom Burckhardt, called "Studio Flood". I spent a little bit of time inside the artwork. It was similar to Tom Sachs "Tea Ceremony" concept that we saw at the Nasher Sculpture Centerwhen we were in Texas. <Read about the Texas Trip>












 There was also an exhibit by Jocelyn Lee, "The Appearance of Things". It didn't do much for me.






Again, more John Bisbee's work. I spent a long time in this room by myself, there was no one else. It touched me, and I am glad to have experienced it.






















I interpreted the picture below as families being separated. I did not see this until I got home and looked through the picture. With the words " DREAM ON" in the back ground, and having these two stanchion - I saw it.



This touched me deeply too. One bird outside the "bird cage" and one bird inside the cage




The suit case has a small open door on one side of the suitcase.


I think this was actually the night before that I went to "The Red Barn" for dinner. And the place I went the night before was the night before. So at "The Red Barn", a lot of locals were there and a lot of tourists were there. It was big, the parking lot was large, there were a lot of tables inside and outside.


I ordered the lobster roll with fries. The ordering process was quick and efficient. If there was a line, a guy would be there taking orders and giving you the slip so that the cashier could check you out quickly.


Here is a picture of the roll.


Here is another picture of the roll. Yes, it was good. Yum yum yum.


There was outside seating too, and on that night, they had a band playing soundtrack songs.


So that day, after the Center for Maine Contemporary Art Museum, I had a few hours to kill. It started to pour, so I decided to go antique-ing. I stopped at a few places.




I ended up buying a wood type. As I was driving away - it fell off the dash board after I took a picture of it. Now it is somewhere in the truck, which reminds me, I have to look for it.



As it was pouring, the day was still early, so I went to "The Maine House" and had a cocktail. I don't remember what I had, but it was with kiwi and oranges. It was ok. If I wasn't driving, I would probably had tried another drink. The menu was very limited - so if they had maybe french fries, I would also have had another drink.


This was the view just before I ducked into the cocktail house.


For dinner, I wanted something simple and decided to get take out at Pizza Hut and ordered pasta alfredo. I haven't had Pizza Hut probably for 25 years or so. I was not good, I should have ordered Chinese food, oh well.

Quilt & Bitch

No comments: