Friday, August 24, 2018

My Summer Vacation 2018 :: Part Cinco of Four (The State of Maine :: Maine Quilts)

August 24 2018,

** Note: This is the tenth of a fourteen part blog **
My Summer Vacation 2018 :: Part Uno of One (Vermont Quilt Festival)
My Summer Vacation 2018 :: Part Uno of Two (Vermont Quilt Festival)
My Summer Vacation 2018 :: Part Uno of Three (Vermont Quilt Festival)
My Summer Vacation 2018 :: Part Deux
My Summer Vacation 2018 :: Part Trois
My Summer Vacation 2018 :: Part Cuatro (Revere Beach International Sand Sculpting Festival)
My Summer Vacation 2018 :: Part Cinco of One (The State of Maine)
My Summer Vacation 2018 :: Part Cinco of Two (The State of Maine)
My Summer Vacation 2018 :: Part Cinco of Three (The State of Maine)
My Summer Vacation 2018 :: Part Cinco of Four (The State of Maine :: Maine Quilts)
My Summer Vacation 2018 :: Part Six 
My Summer Vacation 2018 :: Part Seven
My Summer Vacation 2018 :: Part Eight of One
My Summer Vacation 2018 :: Part Eight of Two



This is the man reason why I went to Maine in the first place, it was to see the "Maine Quilts" which is run by "Pine Tree Quilters Guild, Inc." According to their website as of today, they have membership of 2,100 in 71 chapters.I guess how it works is that this organization "unites" other guilds together and forms one bigger quilt guild.On top of your regular quilt guild, all members will need to pay a $15.00 membership fee to Pine Tree Quilters Guild. There is no quilt entry fee to submit your quilts into the show.

The rules are:
"Quilt entries will be accepted by postmark date."
"Only 100 quilts will be accepted in the Judged Quilts Division."
"An individual may enter a combined total of four quilts in the Chapter/ Group Challenge, Display Quilts Division, Judged Quilts Divisions, and / or 'Bee Sew Inspired' Challenged."
"An individual is limited to the entry of two quilts in the Judged Quilts Division."
"An individual is limited to the entry of one item in the 'Bee Sew Inspired' Challenge."

With the above guidelines, there are many opportunities for quilters to exhibit their quilts. But with the 100 quilts limitation in the Judged Quilts Division, it brings it different kinds of quilts. Competition quilts versus non competition quilts. I understand that a lot of quilters just want to exhibit without the pressure - so it is great that Maine Quilts accept both kinds of quilts.

Interestingly, on their website, under the "General Quilt Entry Information and Guidelines" it did not say that you need to be part of the "Pine Tree Quilters Guild Inc." to submit quilts. Weird. I would think that would be one of the first thing that would be explicitly spelt out. An outsider would not know this.




Overall - it was an ok quilt show. I am comparing this to bigger quilt shows, such as Vermont Quilt Festival. The hanging of the quilts could have been done better. Below you can see how much the wood stuck out from the actual quilt, creating a major distraction. It was not pretty, and that was done across the quilts. I don't think I will go back next year, unless someone else is driving. I bottled this into a "Maine Vacation" so it didn't hurt too much (lodging, etc.), but if I had known, I would not have booked a hotel room in Augusta, Maine and would have drove down to another part of Maine and rented there instead. Oh well, not all plans are perfect.

The space in between the quilts were too tight. I measured approximately 11 of my steps from one pole to the next. I found that difficult to take pictures of medium and larger quilts. An extra two more feet would have been good. Also walking around, there was often a traffic jam because it was just not wide enough. I understand that space is a commodity, but please give medium and larger quilts more space.

They had a wonderful assortment of vendors. As usual, I don't buy much at vendors, and if I know, I know exactly what I need. This time, I bought 2 paints from Pro Chemical & Dye, my new favorite vendor. They are so nice and welcoming and willing to answer questions and don't make you seem stupid. I would buy things any day from them.


The first set of pictures are actually a quilt exhibit inside the quilt show from Susan Carlson, who now resides in Maine. Her quilts are jaw dropping. Absolutely beautiful. She is actually coming to New England Quilt Museum in the next month or so, and I can't wait to see it again.



 I included people in the quilt so that you can see the monstrosity size of this quilt.














"Tickled Pink" is one of my favorites from her collection.














"Fructos" too is absolutely beautiful.



I enjoy her putting in the color purple into the quilt, it makes the object pop out.








This one below is so cute. 













 Quilt & Bitch

No comments: