Saturday, June 30, 2018

My Summer Vacation 2018 :: Part Uno of Three (Vermont Quilt Festival)

June 30 2018,

** Note: This is the third of a fourteen part blog **
My Summer Vacation 2018 :: Part Uno of One (Vermont Quilt Festival)
My Summer Vacation 2018 :: Part Uno of Two (Vermont Quilt Festival)
My Summer Vacation 2018 :: Part Uno of Three (Vermont Quilt Festival)
My Summer Vacation 2018 :: Part Deux
My Summer Vacation 2018 :: Part Trois
My Summer Vacation 2018 :: Part Cuatro (Revere Beach International Sand Sculpting Festival)
My Summer Vacation 2018 :: Part Cinco of One (The State of Maine)
My Summer Vacation 2018 :: Part Cinco of Two (The State of Maine)
My Summer Vacation 2018 :: Part Cinco of Three (The State of Maine)
My Summer Vacation 2018 :: Part Cinco of Four (The State of Maine :: Maine Quilts)
My Summer Vacation 2018 :: Part Six 
My Summer Vacation 2018 :: Part Seven
My Summer Vacation 2018 :: Part Eight of One
My Summer Vacation 2018 :: Part Eight of Two




This quilt received  a second place red ribbon, and "Best Miniature Quilt". OMG. Yah. The pieces are tiny, tiny, tiny. Another one of those quilts I don't think I'll ever attempt or want to attempt. I'll leave it to Helen. Absolute perfection.

"A Log Cabin Just for Me" Helen Irwin, Essex, VT



In person, the quilt "Sunny Day Evolution" by Sharon Tier was a stunner. This quilt had a lot to it. It had movement, the use of color was beautiful. Unfortunately, my camera could not capture the stunning-ness of this quilt.

"Sunny Day Evolution" Sharon Tier, Dryden, NY




I want this quilt. Another favorite. The quilting so complement the quilt. The circle with the triangles / flying geese used Allison Glass' fabrics. A great choice. Can I take you home with me?

"Circle of Geese" Nancy LaPointe, St. Albans, VT





Even though this quilt uses panels, she integrated it into the quilt well. Yah - I don't like panels that much, but this one is well done.

"Birds of a Feather" Martha Wilson, Dover, NH


Look at the fabulous machine quilting. in between the birds. 




This quilt by Diane Beaman, "Walkie Talkies" received "Best Use of Theme 'Circle of Friends' " ribbon.

"Walkie Talkies" Diane Beaman, Laconia, NH




Ready for the next one? Sorry, the index card is out of focus. Here is what it said. "Elephant & Flowers was created with Artisan Fabric collection because it has a vast choice of bright colors and bold patterns. This quilt demonstrates all the skills I have mastered and a few new techniques that I used for the first time; beading and felting. "Elephant & Flowers" by Michelle Bik


From all the pictures I took, this is also one of my favorites. If no one was looking... he he he. This received a red ribbon, second place and a "Judges Choice" award. Love, love, love, love this quilt. It makes me happy. The bells, the charms, the embroidery stitching, the piecing, everything! If it ever needs a home... sorry hubby, but I think I'm in love.











Beautiful quilt. Hope Johnson makes a lot of quilts dedicated to bees. Again, the photo did not capture the beauty of the quilt. You have to see it in person to appreciate the piecing, the colors, and the quilting.

"The Bee's Needs" Hope Johnson, Shelburne, VT






The quilt below was also shown at my quilt guild Quilt Show in 2017. Karen received a red ribbon, second place, and a Special Award for "Best Use of Technology". The picture of her parents is made out of many pictures from her family's collection. This technique is called "Mosaic".

"60 Years of Memories" Karen Swiech, Ashland, MA


Here is the back of the quilt.



"Lake Shore SUnrise" Jeanne Berlin, Oswego, NY, quilted by Donna Turner



A lot of visitors ooo-ed and ahhh-ed over this one. Her use of pastel colors is wonderful. Unfortunately, we cannot see the back of the quilt. Dawn, if you are reading this, please let us know where we can see a picture of the back!

"Thanks, Ralph" Dawn Sullivan, Monson, MA

Dawn Sullivan won "Judges Choice" award, and a red ribbon. What an original design.






This one below was annoying. The quilt was stunning and attracted a lot of visitors. I was trying to take a picture, and I literally stood there for ten minutes before I can take a picture of it without anyone standing in front of it. On top of that, they put a chair to the left of the quilt, so there was always someone in front of the quilt. At one point, someone had moved another chair next to that one chair. The second chair was covering the bottom left side of the quilt. I don't mind you sitting, but please, just let me take a picture! Oh, while I was standing there for ten minutes, there was a group of three or four ladies standing and talking, not about the quilt, but just talking. Umph. I don't tell people to move away while I am trying to take a picture, I wait. I politely wait and wait and wait and wait. You get the picture?

Ok. back to this quilt. you thought I was crazy with all my little pieces? She's crazy-er. What a beautiful quilt.

"Barnum & Bailey" by Daisy Dodge, Carmel, NY, quilted by ANgie Vertucci



"Arthur's Ties" Pat Harrison, Exeter, RI



Another one of my favorite, and one of my favorite quilter, Norma Ippolito. This quilt is different from her normal style. Well... Norma's style of quilt is usually full of ribbons, "Best of Show", "Best of This", "Best of That". This one received a red ribbon, second place. Still a beautiful quilt!

"Doodle Dandy" Norma Ippolito, Chester,VT




Recognize the flower below? It is from a Japanese fabric, cut out with precision.




"Shade Garden" Irene Vazalinskas, Saint-Laurent, Quebec



Remember the elephant quilt up there, "Elephant & Flowers"? The quilt below uses the same fabric in the circle as that of the other quilt.

"Papaver Somniferum (The Opium Flower)" by Carolina Asmussen, Wilton, CT


This quilt received a yellow ribbon, third place, and  a Special Award for "Best Friendship Quilt". Two of the members are also part of the guild I'm in.

"Spirit Animal Friends in Totem" The Stitching Sisters of 5 States.


"Goodwill Towards Men Too!" Christine Wrobel, Williston, VT



"Silky Six Collection" Susan Sherman, Westport. NY




"Geese in the Garden" Eileen BUel, Gilboa, NY



I felt like this quilt got lost in the crowd. I only saw this quilt after walking around three times. Love this quilt. So simple and a great use of fabric scrap.

"Dotty" Mary PUckett, Cullowhee, NC


The Modern Quilt Guild was also in tow with the "Best of QuiltCon".



Awesome.

"She Was Warned" Liz Harvatine, Burbank, CA"



"Pivoted Plaid," Cassandra I. Beaver, Urbana, OH



Love this quilt. Love the quilting, love the color (or lack there off).

"MOD Carden" Jack Weise, Longmont, CO




"Aura" Nydia S. Kehnle, Monroe, NY.



This quilt by Rose Orr received the "Exceptional Merit" purple ribbon and the Govenor's Award.

"Circle Doodles" Rose Orr, Colchester, VT




Last but not least, here's mine. I forgot to take a picture of the index card. But here is what it says. "For some kids college is like a zoo. This quilt is for my niece Celeste, who just graduated high school. I made this original design quilt for her as a graduation gift as she embarks on the next chapter of her life." She picked almost all the commercial fabrics of animals, she loves animals.

Those "G's" at the top was not intentional. That is a modified log cabin that happened to look like "G's". I received a blue ribbon, first place and Judge's Choice from Gerald Roy. Oh, how prestigious. Blush. Blush. Must be the "G's" that Gerald saw that swayed him.



Here's the back of the quilt, which was not shown at VQF. Again, most of the animal fabrics were Celeste's choice.

Just in time, I received my Judge's notes yesterday. I'll share some of the comments.
"Binding width should be even + consistent font + back."
"Creative piecing adds interest and makes this quilt unique and fun."
"Grid quilting is appropriate and well done."
"Grid quilting is done extremely well - consistent and even."
"Fun, exciting, unique. great to look at."

Let me address a few things.
The binding - I still can't get it right. Damn Darn it.
Grid quilting - That's all I can do well, is grid quilting. And in some parts it was not even - they are suppose to be half an inch apart, but sometimes they were not half an inch apart.
Luckily the judges only have like 2 minutes to look at the quilt, if they had 15 minutes...

Shhhh, don't tell the judges. That's between you and me and this blog.

Hope you enjoyed the tour.

Here's to more creativity! I will try to figure out the special awards that some of the quilts have (the large red ribbon). I will update the pages again once I figure out who received what award.

Quilt & Bitch

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thank you for the tour and congratulations on your ribbons! Celeste will be pretty excited to get her award winning quilt— it is beautiful.

Quilt+Bitch said...

Thank you for the note of congratulatory and thanks for stopping by. Celeste is pretty excited too that her quilt got ribbons.